[Magdalen] Are we down?

Jim Guthrie jguthrie at pipeline.com
Mon Feb 2 02:33:09 UTC 2015

> On Feb 1, 2015, at 5:15 PM, Scott Knitter <scottknitter at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> altar, whether they were lighted or not (some had the candles but
> never lighted them, as that crossed a line, apparently), whether

At Christ Church Bay Ridge, we had a Supply Priest one Christmas Morning who
refused to begin the Eucharist unless the candles were lit.

Nobody had any matches, and there were none in the sacristy. I suggested that he
could celebrate from the North Side and I’d find him a black cassock, but he was
not amused.

Then I spotted someone who I was sure might have matches. I whispered to her
that she needed to go to the Ladies Room. Once she was away from her family, I
managed to get a pack of matches from her (I think the family prohibited smoking
with their kids and she was trying to hide it).

In any case, she returned to her pew, and shortly after that I triumphantly
entered the church and lit the candles(Just with the matches -- I was just
waiting for him to complain that he couldn’t start unless the candles were lit
with the proper taper. But he disappointed me on that score. We started about 15
minutes late, and he ended up giving a two minute sermon "because he had to be
somewhere."

Cheers,
Jim.