[Magdalen] What are we reading?

Grace Cangialosi gracecan at gmail.com
Mon Feb 2 15:51:59 UTC 2015

I discovered that book some years ago, along with other books by Hurston. As you probably know, she was one of the writers of the Harlem Renaissance, along with Langston Hughes and others.
I'm not surprised that it had gone out of print; African-American literature kind of disappeared from the scene for awhile.
She wrote a number of other novels, among the "Mules and Men." I just downloaded her first novel, "Jonah's Gourd Vine"--Kindle for $1.99

If you liked this, you'll probably also like "A Gathering of Old Men" and "A Lesson Before Dying," both by Ernest Gaines. The latter was the book for Richmond's Big Read about 10 years ago, and Gaines spoke at the closing ceremony for that event.

As an aside, if you have a chance to see a performance of "Raisin' Cane," go. It's an incredible one-woman performance about the Harlem Renaissance artists of all genres: poetry, music, drama, etc. I saw it a couple of weeks ago, and it was electrifying. The performer was Jasmine Guy, and she was backed by an unusual trio consisting of drums, bass and violin, played by the most amazing jazz violinist I've ever heard!