[Magdalen] Educational update re Everett.

M J [Mike] Logsdon mjl at ix.netcom.com
Mon Feb 2 21:32:51 UTC 2015

Twice now Everett's taken the California high school exit exam, and twice now he's miserably failed the math part.  (He sailed through the English-language Arts part the first time he took it.)  His teacher tells me (privately; Everett doesn't know) that in the Fall he'll give it to him one more time, and if failed again he'll do what's apparently only reserved for special ed kids, and that's do an "intervention" that involves applying for Everett's requirement to pass be waived.  He assures me that all such requests are granted.

Teacher tells me what I already knew, that it's a crock of a system, for all kids involved.  But especially for the special ed kids.  He's got a senior he recently "intervened" for, and all because after several tries the poor kid still got exactly one correct answer away from passing.  And what he tells me just fries his sensibilities, is that he can legally get a kid waived from passing altogether, but he can't give a kid a calculator so he can pass.  Even in Everett's case, he's pretty sure all that's needed is a calculator.