[Magdalen] Washington Post article on involuntary hospitalization of the mentally ill

ME Michaud michaudme at gmail.com
Tue Feb 3 20:10:01 UTC 2015

In 1981 the New Yorker ran a four-part article: Is there no place on
earth for me? Later published as a book. Won the Pulitzer Prize.

Those articles changed me in profound ways. One of the things
that stuck with me: the protagonist telling a psychiatrist in an ER
that she'd had lunch with Clark Gable earlier in the day. The psychiatrist
thought she was talking about one of her friends and pronounced her
fit to leave.

That and the fact that her parents continued to cash her SSI Disability
checks while she lived on the streets.
-M