[Magdalen] Bishop Cook: Another unfortunate piece of the story

Roger Stokes roger.stokes65 at btinternet.com
Wed Feb 4 00:05:12 UTC 2015

On 03/02/2015 21:58, Grace Cangialosi wrote:
> If she was seen to be drunk (Let's not fancy it up by calling her "inebriated."), then in my opinion, Sutton and the PB should have taken her aside and said the whole thing needed to be put on hold. ESPECIALLY since they knew about the previous DUI !

Agreed, the consecration should have been stopped "because the candidate
is unwell".  As a priest I have understood that the fact that a party to
a marriage was drunk was evidence that they were incapable of making the
vows with full assent.  The same would apply to ordination vows.
Stopping the service at that late hour might have provided the shock
that was needed for Heather Cook to address her problem.

Roger