[Magdalen] another train wreck

James Oppenheimer-Crawford oppenheimerjw at gmail.com
Wed Feb 4 05:05:47 UTC 2015

This is so sad.  A woman driving an suv tried to beat the gates at the RR
crossing, and the gate came down on her car, pinning it.  She got out to
see what was going on, and got back and tried to get her suv out, and then
the train hit her, killing her.

The engine man in these cases is always horribly shaken up.  There's
nothing he can do; the train takes time to stop. He just is along for the
ride at that point, watching it all happen.

Somehow the third rail was disconnected, and ripped its way into a car,
causing fires. Several passengers, who probably would have just been shaken
up, died.

The pictures show the car with smoke scorches above several windows.

There was a Metro North wreck at the Spuyten Duyvil curve a while back.
(just north of Manhattan Island) When I was going to NYTS, I used to ride
through there all the time.

This latest wreck is on the Harlem line of Metro North.

James W. Oppenheimer-Crawford
on this Earth.”  -- *Roberto Clemente