[Magdalen] Bishop Cook: Another unfortunate piece of the story

Jim Guthrie jguthrie at pipeline.com
Wed Feb 4 14:08:01 UTC 2015

From: Sally Davies

>I'm puzzled by the "we as a church have a problem with drink" idea. Is that
>only in the USA, or elsewhere in the Communion? I'm sure not here.

Sally, I haven't noted any signs of alarm other than from the 12-steppers on
this list.

Have you seen anyone one else, say, on this list, posit such an idea? One sees
anecdotal incidents applied church-wide, which is definitely not the case, in my
experience. I would say that most TEC parishes don’t go near alcohol in
church-related activities. And I would go further and suggest there isn’t any
more of an alcohol-related problem than in American society in general.

"Don't be too judgmental of alcoholics.  It isn't something they chose to be,
and denial is one of the primary symptoms."

Apparently, the ideal is to be just judgmental enough.

Cheers,
Jim Guthrie