[Magdalen] National TEC policy on Alchol in the Church

Lynn Ronkainen houstonklr at gmail.com
Wed Feb 4 16:56:30 UTC 2015

Here is the info in the post that was on the HoB/D list, all public
knowledge.  I found it quite telling in light of the extensive experiential
discussion in the pub and what we know in general about the church... and
all of these 'outreach' evangelism  events or bible studies at bars....
hmmmm.

I am reminded of thinking over the years that TEC is much like the original
13 colonies in their attitude toward rule breaking <gdr>

Lynn

In 1985 the G.C. (1985-A083) adopted a "Church Policy on Alcohol and Drug
Abuse" In the section on "Alcoholic Beverages in the Local Parish", it
states. "-- The service of alcoholic beverages at church events should not
be publicized as an attraction of the event."

Resolved, the House of Bishops concurring, That this 68th General Convention
adopt the following policy statement:

AN EPISCOPAL NATIONAL POLICY ON ALCOHOL AND DRUG ABUSE

The Episcopal Church acknowledges the need for exercising a healing ministry
and for offering guidance to problem drinkers or chemically dependent
persons and to members of their families.

Alcoholism and other drug abuse are recognized as treatable human disorders
which are manifested by a three-fold impairment of the body, mind and
spirit. The Church concurs with health authorities that alcohol and other
substance abuse is a major health concern of our society. It affects not
only the alcoholic or abuser's health and self-concept, but also
interpersonal relationships with family, co-workers, friends and counselors.
It may affect any individual, regardless of financial situation, education,
employment, race or creed.

The Church calls on all clergy and lay people to take to heart the
seriousness of the illness of alcohol and drug abuse and its manifestations
as a disrupter of family, economic and social life; and urges all
churchpeople to do everything in their power to offer forth the love of
Christ in his healing ministry to those afflicted persons and families.

Diocesan Committees on Alcoholism and Drug Dependency

The General Convention of 1979 encouraged each diocese to appoint a Diocesan
Committee on Alcoholism and Drug Dependency to implement a program on
alcohol and drug abuse. Such committees are responsible for developing a
diocesan policy and planning a diocesan resource center for education,
information, counseling and training. Clergy and lay counselors are
encouraged to pursue continuing education in these fields. Congregations are
encouraged to provide members with educational opportunities to learn more
about the nature, prevention, techniques of treatment and pastoral care of
alcoholics and drug abusers and their families. Trained consultants should
be made available to interested clergy and congregations to facilitate this
education process. Through education and usage of appropriate resources,
intervention is made possible to stop the progress of the disorder before it
runs its full destructive course.

The Church commends and encourages the many programs offering treatment and
support to persons suffering from the illnesses of alcoholism and drug
addiction. Clergy and vestries are encouraged to further their assistance to
the National Episcopal Coalition on Alcohol (NECA), Alcoholics Anonymous,
Al-Anon, AlaTeen Groups, Adult Children of Alcoholics Groups, Narcotics
Anonymous and to chemical dependency programs and halfway houses as well as
becoming knowledgeable concerning all local resources offering intervention,
treatment and continuing care for these persons.

Employees of the Church

Alcoholic or drug dependent employees of the Church should be treated with
pastoral love and concern. Church health insurance policies should include
provision for the treatment and care of persons afflicted with these
illnesses. Treatment intervention for the person and family along with
counseling and continuing support during recovery should be coordinated by
the clergy and other support groups in the parish. Every effort should be
made to offer job protection and re-employment, with salaried sick leave
during hospitalization, to alcoholics and drug abusers accepting treatment.
Those refusing treatment will not be offered this protection.

Alcoholic Beverages in the Local Parish

The Episcopal Church has never endorsed prohibiting the use of beverages
containing alcohol among adult members. Scripture offers Jesus' example of
the use and serving of wine in his first miracle at Cana and in the
institution of the Holy Eucharist. If an adult member elects to use alcohol,
however, moderate usage is expected. Church members should be educated
regarding those conditions that might consequently compromise the health and
safety of oneself or others. The Church also supports and has a
responsibility to those people who abstain from the use of alcoholic
beverages for whatever reason. Many churches do not serve alcoholic
beverages at social functions, but, for those which do, the following
guidelines are given:

-- All applicable federal, state and local laws should be obeyed, including
those governing the serving of alcoholic beverages to minors.

-- Alcoholic beverages and food containing alcohol must be clearly labeled
as such.

-- Whenever alcohol is served, non-alcoholic alternatives must always be
offered with equal attractiveness and accessibility.

-- The service of alcoholic beverages at church events should not be
publicized as an attraction of the event.

-- The group or organization sponsoring the activity or event at which
alcoholic beverages are served must have permission from the parish for this
plan. Such groups or organizations must also assume responsibility for those
persons who might become intoxicated and must provide alternative
transportation for anyone whose capacity to drive may thus be impaired.

-- Recognizing the effect of alcohol as a mood-altering drug, it would be
advisable to consider the nature of the function at which alcoholic
beverages are proposed to be served.

-- Chemical usage other than alcohol is clearly controlled under federal,
state and local laws and, as such, should be forbidden at any function.

Citation: General Convention, Journal of the General Convention of...The
Episcopal Church, Anaheim, 1985 (New York: General Convention, 1986), p.
135.

My email has changed to: houstonKLR at gmail.com

website: www.ichthysdesigns.com

attributed to Erma Bombeck