[Magdalen] Bishop Cook: Another unfortunate piece of the story

H Angus hangus at ctcn.net
Wed Feb 4 18:43:55 UTC 2015

I'm sorry for the story of your friend, M. (Sorry, I don't recall your name.) Your friend's trajectory is sadly typical of an alcoholic.

Alcoholism is a disability, as Heather Cook's lawyer apparently said. But operating as a doctor while drunk, as your friend did, is a choice. Driving drunk is a choice, and so is leaving a man you hit to bleed to death beside the road.

Heather Cook can turn it around, if she chooses. Many people find help in AA and NA, though it's far from a guaranteed "cure." There are doubtless other recovery programs that have success, too. I have seen people in AA who have committed crimes and acts almost as horrible as hers, who have nonetheless turned their lives around. It's very hard, but so very worth it. They are inspirations to the rest of us. We say and believe "No matter how far down the scale we have gone, we will see how our experience can benefit others." Heather Cook can, if she gets clean and sober, use her own life's experience to help others. She can help in a way that, perhaps, she never did when she was toward the top of the social and church pyramid, arrayed in gorgeous robes and sparkling hats. I pray that she will.