[Magdalen] Washington Post article on involuntary hospitalization of the mentally ill

Scott Knitter scottknitter at gmail.com
Wed Feb 4 20:07:55 UTC 2015

On Wed, Feb 4, 2015 at 12:56 PM, ME Michaud <michaudme at gmail.com> wrote:
> I've learned to bail on an article I don't like. Only read about a quarter
> of the fiction. Or less. I've come to believe no good can come out of the
> Iowa Writers' Workshop.

I love the New Yorker and Wired (hi, Lynn!) but have the common
problem of not getting to read entire issues and then having no room
to store them. I've had a New Yorker digital subscription and may look
into that again...it was very cheap last time, compared with what I
would have paid for the paper issues.

Someone made me laugh some years ago when he wrote about canceling his
New Yorker subscription because he could no longer make himself plow
through "11,000 words on the Cuban agricultural industry." But there's
something to the idea of letting a very well-written and well-edited
publication set one's reading agenda to some extent. So much media
content now is based on individual choice and preference, but it's
mind-expanding at least some of the time to submit to what some
respected experts believe we should know about; that's what draws me
to the New York Times quite often. They've got fantastically
well-educated and well-informed people working in the midst of places
where the news is being made...I'd like to know what they consider
important and not base all my media consumption on the tired
preferences I fall back on.

--
Scott R. Knitter
Edgewater, Chicago, Illinois USA