[Magdalen] Bishop Cook: Another unfortunate piece of the story

John Robison friarjohn00 at gmail.com
Wed Feb 4 21:42:58 UTC 2015

On Wed, Feb 4, 2015 at 2:59 PM, Scott Knitter <scottknitter at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 4, 2015 at 1:10 PM, John Robison <friarjohn00 at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > Bullying, often couched in the form of "truth telling" is fairly common.
> > There is a strongly entrenched group of people (clergy and laity) who
> have
> > helped develope the processes of the diocese, and want it keep it as it
> is.
>
> Perhaps not directly related, but tangentially, is the manipulation of
> parish search processes by a diocese. We experienced some of this, and
> it was pathetic. The first attempt was a blatant lie to our search
> committee, done badly and quickly seen through. But removing our
> diocesan liaison and replacing her with her boss wasn't the end of it.

Well, there is that. A parish I belonged to in Dio MD was repeatedly
misslead (one must NEVER say lied to), and the confusion ended up being the
search committee's "fault."
To be a bit more blunt: The Committee was sent to fresh from Seminary
candidates to interview. The Candidates were told that these were
"practice" interviews. That information was not given to the Committee.When
they decided to extend a call to one of the two, the candidate was quite
suprised, and told the committee what she had been told. The Senior Warden,
a big wig at a Federal agency, called the search officer to complain, he
was told that they should have realized that they were a "practice" for the
candidates, since the parish was obviously not suited for such future "high
fliers."

Like I said, deep disfunction.

--
John Robison Asc. Episcopal Carmel St Teresa

Check out my online Book Shop:  http://astore.amazon.com/friarsrumi-20

"Among the repulsions of atheism for me has been its drastic
uninterestingness as an intellectual position." - John Updike

"There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life:
The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that
often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading
to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with
the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs."  ~John Rogers