[Magdalen] another train wreck

Jim Guthrie jguthrie at pipeline.com
Thu Feb 5 13:21:46 UTC 2015

From: Ann Markle

>Perhaps you guys have read something that I haven't.  Everything I've heard
>says they haven't determined why the car was on the tracks.  Do you have
>additional information, or is this a rush to judgment?

It was driven onto the tracks after the crossing lights started flashing,
according to the eyewitness accounts.

The motorist behind her who backed up to give her room to back off the tracks
rather than pull forward into the path of the train is one such eyewitness, who
has been interviewed several times on TV -- and a brief snippet of his interview
was on NBC Nightly News last night.

It should be noted that some have suggested that the traditional red flashers be
replaced with ordinary traffic lights. The highway engineers reject that idea as
way too dangerous, since so many motorists ignore the lights (and gates) at
crossings, and they fear that using traffic lights would only result in
motorists ignoring them at highway intersections as well.

They set a very low bar for the intelligence of motorists.

Jim Guthrie