[Magdalen] National TEC policy on Alcohol in the Church

Grace Cangialosi gracecan at gmail.com
Thu Feb 5 15:55:57 UTC 2015

Jim, you wrote,  "Ah yes, alcohol-free zones because some folks are incapable of self-control."

I'll try to respond respectfully, because you do raise a rather common and judgmental attitude with regard to alcoholism.

True alcoholism is a disease, not simply a matter of self-control, a disease that I've seen people struggle with for years, going in and out of rehab, losing jobs, even committing suicide because they couldn't break its grip. Sometimes they were able to muster enough "self-control" for one day at a time, sometimes not.  My parents and younger sister were all alcoholics, as is my son, and I know that it's only by the grace of God and my body chemistry that I'm not. I was so afraid of becoming an alcoholic that I didn't take a drink until I was 28. My sister drank herself to death at the age of 52. There is a biological and physiological basis for this, as I'm sure you know.

All of that being said, it is also clear that getting drunk at a party or a social event doesn't mean someone is an alcoholic.  And in those situations, self-control really can come into play. If I find myself wearing a lampshade at a party, (I haven't!) I can and will decide I shouldn't drink that much again.  Besides, unlike an alcoholic, I don't like the feeling of being out of control, and I certainly don't like the feeling I have the next day. I don't have anything to drink at all if I know I'm going to be driving home within a couple of hours. That is a matter of self-control, period.

Yes, a person can choose to stay away from situations where alcohol is being served, and many do, and that IS an act of will and self-control. All I'm saying is that I don't think they should have to make that choice about church events I can't think of a single situation that *requires* alcohol, even a wedding reception.

Is this kind of consideration any different than taking away a friend's keys or driving them home when they've had too much to drink?

From: Grace Cangialosi

>I don't see anything wrong with making churches and their events alcohol-free
>zones. And no, I'm not saying we need to use grape juice...

Ah yes, alcohol-free zones because some folk are incapable of self control. Or,
if it's an illness, do what all people of good will would do, and stay away.

I realize that many seem to confuse getting drunk with something or someone to
blame other than one's own weaknesses and lack of self-control. So much of the
deterioration we see around us stems from this -- often with all manner of
litigation, starting with people responsible for auto accidents suing the
victim. It happens all the time. Everything that  goes wrong is someone else's
fault so the everyone else pays the price.

Many addicts already **do** stay away, because they know that snorting cocaine
or shooting up in a public place like a church hall is not going to be welcomed
by the non-addicts. And of course, sex addicts tend not to indulge in church,
either.

As for those who do drink alcohol, the church hall is a far better public place
to do it than, say, a saloon, as the peer group finds one getting drunk at such
affairs much to outré and people recognize that, I think.

Cheers,
Jim Guthrie