[Magdalen] Anastasia Baptist

Jay Weigel jay.weigel at gmail.com
Mon Feb 9 15:03:04 UTC 2015

I was back at Reformation Lutheran after a prolonged absence due to the
nasty upper respiratory infection I brought back with me from Florida. As I
told the pastor, I didn't think it would be proper to contaminate the place
with alien germs.

I have noticed that the pastor is deeply committed to social justice issues
and this comes through in his sermons. I'm guessing from things he's said
that he is likely a fairly liberal Democrat politically, which is not
exactly in sync with the local political climate. However, it appears that
the congregation adores him, and they are quite active in social outreach
locally.

Changing the subject, yesterday's OT reading was one of my favorite
passages from Isaiah, "They that wait on the Lord". For some reason, that
always makes me think of a home health patient we had back in the early
90s. She wasn't my patient; she belonged to another nurse, one who trained
me, but I met her my first week, and the relationship between her and her
nurse was one of the things that bonded me to home health. Miss Lucille was
an African-American lady of considerable age and dignity and great
sweetness. She and her husband had had a small dairy farm and raised a
bunch of children through the Depression in rural Hamblen County, TN, and
she enjoyed telling stories of that time. The one that has always stuck
with me has to do with her going to look for a cow that had gone missing
during a snow, and finding that the cow had given birth, but the calf was
so weak it could barely stand and the cow wouldn't leave it. She picked up
the calf and carried it back through the snow to the barn, and the mother
followed. Her nurse, also a farm girl but from Mississippi, said she bet
that wasn't the first calf Miss Lucille had carried home, and Miss Lucille
allowed as how that was so, "and not the only one in the snow, either!" She
said God would always give her the strength, and quoted that verse from
Isaiah. Now whenever I hear it, it always brings up the image of (a much
younger) Miss Lucille struggling through the snow with a newborn calf in
her arms. Somehow I think both she and God would like that.