[Magdalen] Please help me understand

Eleanor Braun eleanor.braun at gmail.com
Tue Feb 10 00:52:18 UTC 2015

The legal position of the judges is correct.  The US Constitution is the
supreme law of the land, and SCOTUS ultimately decides what the
Constitution says.  The marriage equality cases are fundamentally being
decided under the 14th Amendment to the Constitution, which provides:  "No
State shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or
immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any State deprive
any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor
deny to any person within its jurisdiction the *equal protection of the
laws.*"  State judges cannot "nullify" federal law.

I don't know what real authority Judge Moore has over the probate judges,
since they are complying with federal law (as it stands now for Alabama,
and assuming the SCOTUS does uphold marriage equality generally later this
year).  They may be subject to being voted out of office or not re-elected
next election.  But the law will be settled, I do hope.

Eleanor