[Magdalen] Washington Post article on involuntary hospitalization of the mentally ill

Jay Weigel jay.weigel at gmail.com
Sun Feb 15 14:55:32 UTC 2015

The problem, Jim, is there is in most places no such thing as "real
community care". Mental health services are among the first cuts made to
any budget, often before it's even submitted for consideration to whatever
outfit is charged with dealing with budgets. On top of that, once it's
submitted for consideration to whatever budget committee exists, anything
left for mental health services is then cut, and cut again. And shall we
talk about the nonexistent training given to police on how to deal with
mentally ill persons?