[Magdalen] Washington Post article on involuntary hospitalization of the ...

James Oppenheimer-Crawford oppenheimerjw at gmail.com
Sun Feb 15 21:43:11 UTC 2015

The successful models of community-based assisted living for the newly
discharged have been around for decades now, some even going back to the
fifties. Any mental health system that can only discharge to "independent
living" is committing a crime.  There is no excuse; the models are well
demonstrated and in place. Those who don't have them have chosen to run a
system designed to fail.

This can't be a system that lives by rules and laws, because the patients
need to be worked with over time to earn their trust and to know what they
can and cannot do.

There are even effective interventions to help the families to help the
patient succeed instead of inadvertently sabotaging the discharge.

I remember we had a Crisis Team whose job was to work with the most
difficult to place, most at risk patients.  They nominally had some
offices, but for the most part they worked out of their vans.  I remember
we all wondered how long it would be til they burned out. It's extremely
taxing and draining work.

James W. Oppenheimer-Crawford
on this Earth.”  -- *Roberto Clemente