[Magdalen] Washington Post article on involuntary hospitalization of the mentally ill

Kate Conant kate.conant at gmail.com
Tue Feb 17 14:47:39 UTC 2015

On Sat, Feb 14, 2015 at 3:16 PM, Susan Hagen <susanvhagen at gmail.com> wrote:

> Kate, whatever model you believe in as the cause, people are almost
> always considered for involuntary confinement because their outward
> behavior has become troubling.

​...​

>  What is
> supposed to happen?  Do they belong in jail?  Should they starve?
> Threaten people?
>
> I don't know the answers to any of these questions.  I do think that
> sometimes people need to be in a secure place where they can get care
> and I don't think that jail is the right place.
>
> Susan

​Why use the existing mental/behavioral health system for this?

Why not make it easier to get what they need at home (including a home if
they need that)?
If they break the law, the legal system can deal with them.

I think there is a big problem now with the term "behavioral health".
If I pushed that to the limits most Republicans would be locked up!