[Magdalen] A quarter century...

Scott Knitter scottknitter at gmail.com
Tue Feb 17 23:58:11 UTC 2015

On Tue, Feb 17, 2015 at 4:42 PM, Roger Stokes <roger.stokes65 at btinternet.com
> wrote:

> I think a crucial point here is that it is the Extraordinary Rite,
> something unusual and/or special, rather than the regular rite said every
> hour on the hour on Sundays which the faithful were expected to hear each
> week. People seek it out so it has to be something meaningful for them,
> which means allowing more time and solemnity in the celebration.

I find it fascinating sometimes to find an archived newspaper online that
has a page of church services adverts; the usual schedule in an urban RC
church was something like Low Masses at 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, and 10, and High
Mass at 11. My grandmother's parish in Milwaukee had that schedule PLUS Low
Masses on the HALF-hour in the basement (temporary-looking altar setup and
a sea of noisy metal folding chairs...kneel on the floor). So 12 to 14
Masses every Sunday. I do remember it being a bit of a cattle call, with
two great streams of people slowly making their way into and out of the
building pretty much continuously. This had to be about 1964-65 when major
liturgical change was just getting under way, and Milwaukee seemed to be
behind the curve compared to our Detroit-area parish.

--
Scott R. Knitter
Edgewater, Chicago, Illinois USA