[Magdalen] Book fiends (was Re: Life's challenges)

Molly Wolf lupa at kos.net
Fri Feb 27 18:35:46 UTC 2015

Time for a subject line shift.

I knew (briefly) Shirley Jackson's daughter Sarah, aka Sal.  Ms Jackson had died about a year before, and Sal lived with her father Stanley Edgar Hymen in a vast and shaggy Victorian house in North Bennington.  Hyman taught at Bennington College.  I was in that house a handful of times.  Rumour had it that they had 100,000 books, and that he knew where every single one of them was.  Wouldn't have surprised me any.  Cleaning out that house after his death would have been a formidable task.

Molly

The man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. -- Mark Twain