[Magdalen] Kaddish [was Re: RIP Leonard Nimoy

Scott Knitter scottknitter at gmail.com
Sat Feb 28 17:00:26 UTC 2015

On Sat, Feb 28, 2015 at 9:06 AM, Jim Guthrie <jguthrie at pipeline.com> wrote:
> Some of you interested in this might want to check out Temple Emanu-El in NY
> --  a Reform Synagogue with s=an audio stream of their Friday Evening and
> Saturday morning services.

Been tuning into that, although fairly irregularly, for a while. I've
learned so much just watching a few services and following in my hard
copy of the Union Prayerbook. I remember searching all over for the
edition that matches what they use. There's a VERY old edition that
doesn't, and I think a slightly newer one that doesn't, either. Now
I've got the right one, plus the volume for the high holidays. I've
loved getting to know some of the choral settings of the main sung
parts.

Chicago Sinai Congregation is part of the same Classic Reform
tradition (or Classical? not sure) that Emanuel is in; Chicago Sinai
did its own revision of the Union Prayerbook recently. Like other
synagogues in that tradition, they jettisoned traditional terms back
when they were attempting to assimilate rather than stand out: the
Rabbi is called the Minister or Reader; Bas Mitzvah is Confirmation
(!); no kippot required; and they even still have a Sunday morning
service instead of a Shabbat morning one. That's probably from when
Saturday was a work day for most working folks and it was impossible
to get off work for Shabbat services. They do, of course, have a
Friday evening service.

I also like the streams and videos from Central Synagogue in
NYC...their music is of a more pop/contempo style but very
professionally done. I bought and downloaded their CD, Sounds of
Shabbat. Some clips are hearable here:
http://www.oysongs.com/search_results.cfm?view=All&criteria=central%20synagogue

--
Scott R. Knitter