[Magdalen] Kaddish [was Re: RIP Leonard Nimoy

James Oppenheimer-Crawford oppenheimerjw at gmail.com
Sat Feb 28 20:45:36 UTC 2015

I met Dr. Stephanie Samuels one day as I was going to a ward in the
psychiatric center where we both worked. She was one of the most passionate
advocates for patients I've ever known, and a fine physician, who also
happened to be of the Jewish faith.  She allowed as how she had heard I was
studying in seminary. I said one of the thrills was studying Hebrew.
"That's good. Everybody in seminary should study God's language," she said.

And it's true; I felt a passion for Hebrew that was never equaled by the
study of Greek.

There's something about sounding out a familiar text and realizing you are
saying words that were said thousands of years ago, when they were new, and
these words have changed us forever. How can someone study that -- and not
be changed?

James W. Oppenheimer-Crawford