[Magdalen] Interesting Sunday

Roger Stokes roger.stokes65 at btinternet.com
Wed Jun 1 18:59:57 UTC 2016

On 01/06/2016 19:29, Lynn Ronkainen wrote:
> prayers for your search - hopefully people will NOT pressure the
> committee to act more quickly than their efforts and seeking can
> handle.  I know how frustrating it was when 'important' people in my
> former parish began throwing their weight around when we had not
> chosen a new call as soon as they wanted. We were told to allow a
> month for each year (our rector retired after 20 years).... for you
> folks that would be a lifetime! Here's hoping that the committee can
> search in comfort and confidence for as long as they need to .

I have heard a month per year as well, but that's in a context where we
don't have interim's to help people move on and gain a reasonable
assessment of where the parish is in reality.  That said, I agree that
the minimum time to make an appointment should not exceed a reasonable
figure, say 18-24 months.  Some people may think "We must have a new
Rector by X" but that is foolish.  It adds pressure and can lead to a
lowering of what you are looking for in the new priest.  Expectations
need to be realistic but desperation can lead to the worst of all
outcomes - the appointment of somebody who us not suitable for that
parish.  That is bad for parish and priest, and immensely disruptive for
all concerned.  Human beings are fallible and such appointments will
happen but all reasonable steps should be taken to reduce the
probability un any particular case.

Roger