[Magdalen] "Hand to Hand" - have you one to share?

Sibyl Smirl polycarpa3 at ckt.net
Sun Jun 5 05:32:13 UTC 2016

On 6/3/16 7:33 AM, Ian Gomersall wrote:
> Greetings
>
> Here's a little bit of Summer fun :)
>
> I've just posted on our church blog about 'Hand to Hand' - how far we can
> connect back to, say, a specific event through family memory or connection.
>
> Have a look at the blog entry at:
> https://stchrysostoms.wordpress.com/2016/06/01/hand-to-hand/
> which explains more and gives examples.
>
> I was wondering if we had 'Hand to hand' s to share

150 years:  Abraham Lincoln's assassination.  1865

What my great-great-grandfather, an Illinois farmer, had to say when a
neighbor, on his way home from town, stopped in to give him the news
that Lincoln had been shot.  My g-g-g said, "Good." and went on with
what he was doing.  One of his children was nearby, and heard the
exchange. Many years later, she told the child who much later became my
aunt (born 1914), who told me.  During the many decades of Lincoln
Worship in Northern areas, this was a closely guarded scandalous family
secret, but all his first generation of children knew it.  If my mother
knew it, she never told me, but her sister did.

--
Sibyl Smirl
mailto:polycarpa3 at ckt.net