[Magdalen] A small, complete, Bible.

Scott Knitter scottknitter at gmail.com
Wed Jun 8 21:53:01 UTC 2016

Our Benedictine community uses the 1993 inclusive Grail Psalter; the
abbot feels it has "an edge to it" and helps us pray the psalms
afresh. This it does, and I do like the Saint Meinrad psalm tones for
the Grail psalms, and we sing to those tones when we're in
convocation. But sometimes the Grail just sounds clunky to me, and I
know it's because it's trying to replicate the Hebrew poetic structure
and rhythm. The thing is, it's English. To me, Coverdale (and our 1979
BCP psalter) make good use of English. A favorite passage for
comparison is from Ps. 24:

Grail:
O gates, lift high your heads;
grow higher, ancient doors.
Let him enter, the king of glory!

Coverdale:
Lift up your heads, O ye gates; and be ye lift up, ye everlasting doors; *
   and the King of glory shall come in.

1979 BCP:
Lift up your heads, O gates; lift them high, O everlasting doors; *

--
Scott R. Knitter
Edgewater, Chicago, Illinois USA