[Magdalen] Summer Reading.

Cantor03 at aol.com Cantor03 at aol.com
Mon Jun 13 16:29:41 UTC 2016

I generally do not read fiction for entertainment.

For my summer reading, therefore

I picked up a volume, "The Pines of Mexico and Central America"  recently
and am wading through it.  The author is Jesse Perry, Jr. and it  runs on
for more than 300 pages with hundreds of black and white photos.

I was aware that Mexico is the prime location for pine hybridization  and
the development of new species.  The complex microclimates of  Mexico
and Central America are largely responsible.  Nearly half of the total
pine
species of 110 are found in this region.

The species maps and ranges in Mexico and Central America make
such studies of Anglo-American tree species seem like child's play.

An entertaining aspect of this book is the author's detailed directions on
driving to the often isolated stands of pine species.  Knowing the  drug
situation in Mexico, I doubt whether I would be comfortable driving to
these
often remote areas, but the directions are there if the reader wants  to
see first hand:   "Four wheel off road vehicle required.  Do not  drive at
night and bring plenty of water."

Ay Carumba!

David Strang.