[Magdalen] opinions on web based eye glasses???

Scott Knitter scottknitter at gmail.com
Mon Jun 13 18:22:05 UTC 2016

I think it's a good idea if one's prescription allows for it; the
stupid hangup, though, is getting one's pupillary distance measured
accurately. Apparently optometrists are often loath to give you this
number because they don't want to help you order glasses online. There
are YouTubes showing how to try to measure it yourself, but I don't
trust myself to do this without error.

The answer is probably that you should request the PD if they don't
put it on your prescription and be a bit indignant with them if they
give you flack about it. It's a measurement that you own and should be
able to have and use as you wish.

The key to successful online glasses, I'd think, is to get exactly
what the optometrist prescribed; for instance, if you need progressive
lenses, don't try to order something less than that...but maybe the
more scrupulous vendors will make sure you're getting what is
prescribed and not engage in game-playing.

I like some of Warby-Parker's glasses but am not sure they can
accommodate my progressive prescription. Maybe by now they do. I
haven't looked in a while. They do have a showroom here in Chicago
where I can actually go and try on all their frames.

I happened to find some frames I love at my optometrist's small
office, but generally the in-person glasses-buying experience involves
a small selection and/or high pressure to run up the bill and get
something more than what you need or wanted when you came in. I like
the idea of online selection and precision, as long as the lenses and
frames they sell are of high quality. Caveat emptor as always.

--
Scott R. Knitter
Edgewater, Chicago, Illinois USA