[Magdalen] opinions on web based eye glasses???

Lynn Ronkainen houstonklr at gmail.com
Mon Jun 13 19:10:45 UTC 2016

Thanks Scott.
Growing up I always saw an Ophthalmologist so never connected 'the glasses
store' with a person who also examined eyes.

As an adult, I have gone mostly to Optometrists, all of which I've had great
confidence in.  They all had 'showrooms'.. sometimes I ordered through/from
them, sometimes not.  Yes, I always got pressure. I've usually worn the same
frames, even in the age of 'plastic' frames (the previous age), for several
prescription cycles - read that 'new lenses'.... that is behavior that is
also not appreciated and now a days frames have become a fashion statement,
all the better to change them every time so you 'keep up' with the styles.
Not for me.  The frame style I've been wearing since '04 are perfect for me
and this pair of frames will be my third.

Now, devoid of any insurance coverage for eye exams (one of the parts of
'Obama care' that got cut after the first year as a 'must include'), I've
looked into buying it myself, but doing the math, it doesn't really make
much of a difference - pay the insurance or pay the eye-guy.

When I started my investigating for exam/frames (current ones falling
apart - I thought that this miracle metal titanium lasted forever?!), the
exam is in the 95.-150. range for an optometrist. Duplicating my frames at 3
different places I went in to would be 400. for the frames (I've found them
on line from $180. - 235.) - SO... I feel comfortable thinking that the
people I've spoken with are still making a tidy sum on these frames.  The
polycarbonate lenses, which also need to be polished on the perimeter edges,
in a 'lined' bifocal are also quoted as running $125. - 250. a pair (lenses
only)....

That is when I started getting creative, ventured online and made some phone
calls, and bought a  Groupon for a local Optometrist who I know is good as
some of my friends go there.  The exam is a 'deal', but a special retina
test is extra ($55.). They have an allowance toward frames, but not lenses
and my price online for the frames is a better deal than buying the frames
through him with my 'allowance'.  The eye care industry is in a tough
situation with the online competition, but I'm not sure what or where the
answer is to handling the huge cost difference.  Even when I had eye
insurance I would have had to pay over $300. in the scenario I'm involved in
now. SIGH (cosmic).

Lynn

website: www.ichthysdesigns.com

attributed to Erma Bombeck