[Magdalen] parochialism

Cantor03 at aol.com Cantor03 at aol.com
Sat Jun 18 14:08:47 UTC 2016

In a message dated 6/18/2016 8:18:19 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
jay.weigel at gmail.com writes:

However,  it is no longer a
Catholic hospital; it was bought by some godawful  corporation and has since
been absorbed by another.  Bleah.>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Ditto in this area.  There were Catholic hospitals in Scranton and in
Wilkes-Barre when I arrived thirty years ago.  Now one of them  in
Wilkes-Barre is an extended care facility, and the other has gone
corporation for profit, but the physical plant that was the Catholic
hospital is still in use for the new owners in Scranton.

It's interesting that clinics with a history of working in/with Catholic
hospitals in the Upper Midwest USA still have that working  connection.
For example, the Mayo Clinic with Saint Mary's and Methodist
Hospitals in Rochester, MN, and the Marshfield Clinic with  Sacred
Heart Hospital in Eau Claire, WI where I lived.

I can still hear the tiny bell announcing the nuns with Communion
for the patients, the freezing of all activity, and the genuflections
in the Madison, WI Catholic hospital where I had my Ob training.

This is all gone, including, I think, the hospital.

David Strang.