[Magdalen] In the weeds

ME Michaud michaudme at gmail.com
Sun Jun 19 12:09:29 UTC 2016

Which reminds me of the Spring Tonic.

My grandmother grew up in a time when you were lucky to get an orange for
Christmas. Most people spent the winter months eating fish, preserved
meats, root vegetables & beans, supplemented by pickles and jams. The
transition to fresh veggies in the Spring was preceded by the Spring Tonic,
designed to help the digestive system make the transition. Dandelion greens
figured in these concoctions.

We never resented the Spring Tonic, as nasty as it seemed in a child's
mouth. It was presented as an annual rite of passage and promise of joys to
come.

Speaking of which, today is the Sunday we switch to church in the cloister,
where the breezes blow and the roses bloom, backlit, and the occasional cat
wanders in. Good times.
-M