[Magdalen] In the weeds

Cantor03 at aol.com Cantor03 at aol.com
Sun Jun 19 21:15:08 UTC 2016

In a message dated 6/19/2016 4:57:43 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
jay.weigel at gmail.com writes:

I  brought from Richmond in a modestly
decent-sized outdoor pot, is rapidly  outgrowing the >>>>>>

On a trip to Virginia Beach, we picked up a Big Leaf Magnolia
(Magnolia macrophylla) there and on a whim, brought it here to NE
Pennsylvania and planted it not far from the large Tulip tree.  I  didn't
expect it to survive, but it has and prospered, even giving the  notoriously
fast growing Tulip tree a run for the money.  In another month, it  will
show perhaps a dozen enormous, creamy white flowers that are very
exotic looking.  Combine with its enormous leaves 2'+ in length,  it
is quite a sight.

Sometimes you win and sometimes you loose.  In the latter  category
are an Atlantic Blue Cedar (Cedrus atlanticus glauca) and a Leyland
Cypress (Cupressus x leylandii), both victims of an especially
cold winter about 25 years ago.

David Strang.