[Magdalen] Little Things

Jay Weigel jay.weigel at gmail.com
Wed Jun 22 15:13:02 UTC 2016

I'm an unashamed movie cryer. Always have been. I remember going to see the
Zeffirelli "Romeo and Juliet" which I have always adored because the lead
parts were played by real teenagers, and absolutely sobbing at the tomb
scene even though I knew exactly how it was going to turn out because of
course I'd read the play my freshman year in high school.

The last time I remember crying in a movie (watching one at home doesn't
count) was, of all things, "Night at the Museum 3"...but part of that was
context. At the part where the characters are all about to turn back into
statues and Teddy Roosevelt (Robin Williams) is saying goodbye to
Sacajawea, my eyes started leaking, and when he's a statue, back on his
horse and motionless and the Ben Stiller character looks back at him, tears
were pouring down my face because I knew we'd never see Robin in a movie
again and that was just too sad for words. S/O was as emotional as I was.
We both remain huge Robin Williams fans.

Oh, and I cried at the same scene in "Lady and the Tramp", too. Disney
movies always have one scene like that, and one guaranteed to scare the
pants off little kids (think about the forest fire in "Bambi").