[Magdalen] Brexit 2nd vote?

Scott Knitter scottknitter at gmail.com
Sun Jun 26 01:07:58 UTC 2016

I saw an analysis of the petition to Parliament to have a second
referendum (which I assume would be a chance to change minds now that
everyone's had a chance to be educated a bit on all the various
consequences); the analysis said the main problem is the retroactivity
of it: Let's vote again because neither Leave nor Remain achieved 60%
and turnout wasn't 75% or something. Sort of like applying new rules
to an already-played game to make it turn out differently. Maybe there
are other aspects to this, though. But mostly I don't see much
optimism that this petition will work. For something as momentous as
this, I'm a little surprised a simple majority was all that was
needed. But of course the rules can be set only before, not after, the
vote.

--
Scott R. Knitter
Edgewater, Chicago, Illinois USA