[Magdalen] Hot in church tomorrow?

Cantor03 at aol.com Cantor03 at aol.com
Sun Jun 26 02:27:45 UTC 2016

In a message dated 6/25/2016 9:14:46 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
scottknitter at gmail.com writes:

so we've  been a bit toasty in church  lately>>>>>>>

That's the way it was in the olden days before A/C was commonplace
in churches.  I think that contributed to the appalling "swooning"  that
was seen back in the day.  Church goers would simply get  overheated
and pass out.

A/C isn't needed much in Germany because of the cool, often overcast
weather, but when it does get warm and humid, it was an experience
to go to church and be assaulted by the body odor.  The last  time
this happened to me was at Frauenkirche at Oberwesel/Rhein  (1997)
and if I ever wanted incense on the heavy side it was on that  occasion.
Germans do not generally use deodorants.

I was cantoring an RC Mass up the road at Diocese Scranton's largest
parish on a Sunday when the A/C was kaput.  During the  Canon
the presider suddenly stopped and asked the assembly whether he had
said the Words of Institution.  He had not, since the pages of  the
altar missal had stuck together from the moisture.  He had to go  back
and finish up.

David Strang.