[Magdalen] Speaking of mishaps...

Kate Conant kate.conant at gmail.com
Sun Jun 26 21:05:44 UTC 2016

At least you weren't in the Orthodox church:

I have seen spills during the distribution of communion during the Divine
Liturgy.  Sometimes the priest will lick it off the floor.  Other times
I've seen a book placed over the spot (so that that portion of the carpet
can be cut out and burned later.

Here's a comment from Monachos.net:

"It is the custom in many churches (including mine) to have a small rug
that is brought out at the time of the distribution of the Gifts to the
people. It is put just in front of the priest and so when people come to
receive, they stand on the rug and if, God forbid, there is any accident or
spill, it falls on the rug which then can be taken out separately and dealt
with appropriately without burning the floor or cutting the carpet.

Fr David Moser
​"

Kate
​

"What does the Lord require of you, but to do justice, love mercy, and walk
humbly with your God?"
Micah 6:8