[Magdalen] Stonehenge.

Cantor03 at aol.com Cantor03 at aol.com
Mon Jun 27 16:11:43 UTC 2016

I was reading a story on the annual observance of the vernal equinox
at Stonehenge this year.  It reminded me that one of the times I was  in
that area, I witnessed the equinox liturgy of the ?druids in special
very colorful vestments as they walked amongst the rocks.

That same day concluded with a thrilling performance of Mahler's
Eighth (Choral ) Symphony in nearby Salisbury Cathedral.  The west  end
of the church was stacked with risers up into the clearstory.  I don't
recall
all the singers and instrumentalists in the make up of "the Thousand.'  but
I think, even with the 9 or so soloists, there weren't quite one  thousand
in the musical ensemble.  Among the singers were the Salisbury  and
Winchester Cathedral Choirs, a BBC Chorus, and some regional choral
societies.  It was quite the sound in that reverberant space.

If the Symphony of a Thousand and the druids didn't wake up the  powers,
nothing would have.

David S.