Anglicans Online
News
Basics
Worldwide Anglicanism Anglican Dioceses and Parishes
Noted Recently News Archives Start Here The Anglican Communion Africa Australia BIPS Canada
Search, Archives Official Publications Anglicans Believe... In Full Communion England Europe Hong Kong Ireland
Resource directory   The Prayer Book Not in the Communion Japan New Zealand Nigeria Scotland
    The Bible B South Africa USA Wales WorldB
This page last updated 15 April 2007

Investiture of new Bishop of Southern Virginia

Reported by Connie Jones

27 June 1998. The Right Reverend David Bane, Jr, Bishop Coajutor of the Diocese of Southern Virginia, was today invested as the Diocesan Bishop. He replaces the Right Reverend Frank Vest, who retired this year. The sermon was preached by the Rev. Frank Wade, Rector of St Alban's in Washington DC, and the ceremony was attended by the Rt. Rev. Donald P. Hart, Assistant Bishop of Maryland and by the Rt. Rev. Robert Wilkes Ihloff, Bishop of Maryland.

The renewal of baptismal vows was central to the investiture ceremony, and the invitation to the investiture contained this paragraph:

In keeping with the Baptismal Covenant and to grow further as God's family, I am asking that each church designate one person to bring a small jar of water from a lake or stream in your area and to carry this in the procession. The water will be emptied into a designated Font which we will use during the service.

To the surprise and delight of the children of all ages there in the Church of Christ and St Luke in Norfolk, Virginia, the newly-invested Bishop Bane uncovered a Super Soaker filled with the consecrated water, and asperged the congregation thoroughly. English perpendicular Gothic is quite an impressive setting for such an instrument of delivery of holy water, and the Super Soaker was quite up to the high ceilings.

This web site is independent. It is not official in any way. Our editorial staff is private and unaffiliated. Please contact editor@anglicansonline.org about information on this page. ©1997-2019 Society of Archbishop Justus